Monday 26 November 2012

Four Ate Five (fouratefive), Surry Hills

When I first heard about this cafe, I remember thinking to myself....why did four eat five?? (LOL...true story!) And then I realised that it was actually a really playful pun on the street number of the cafe itself....you guessed it - 485.

This cute little cafe renowned for its all day breakfast is located on 485 Crown Street, Surry Hills.

In terms of where along Crown St it is located, it's in a little strip of cafes between Devonshire St and Jessop St.  There is 2 hours free parking from 8am - 6pm Monday to Fridays on Crown St itself so if you go during the weekdays it's usually not too hard to for find parking....although it can be a different story during the weekend!

shesparkleseverywhere.wordpress.com

shesparkleseverywhere.wordpress.com

shesparkleseverywhere.wordpress.com

shesparkleseverywhere.wordpress.com

I arrived at the cafe around 12pm on a Friday and it was actually quite packed so I ended up grabbing the last available table (yay!).

The cafe is small and cosy, with about 30 seats indoors (including a large communal table) and about 8-10 seats outside at the front of the cafe.  I found it quite unique how they had the barista at the front of the cafe, separate from the actual kitchen itself, which was located at the back of the cafe. It was also an open kitchen too!

shesparkleseverywhere.wordpress.com

The decor was cute and homely, with paintings and other cute ornaments here and there (note the photos were taken at different times during my visit!).

shesparkleseverywhere.wordpress.com

shesparkleseverywhere.wordpress.com

shesparkleseverywhere.wordpress.com

One thing that stood out was that there were power points available under the seats which would be useful for those with laptops or iPads :)

shesparkleseverywhere.wordpress.com

The menu was quite extensive so I had a difficult time choosing what I wanted! I ended up choosing poached eggs with smoked salmon and a weak, skim latte (my usual)...then I just had to get myself a bowl of the kumera chips with aioli that everyone was raving about.

shesparkleseverywhere.wordpress.com

shesparkleseverywhere.wordpress.com

The table setting was really cute too, with a small bowl of sea salt, small pepper grinder and...tabasco! I was so glad to see some tabasco for everyone on the tables :)

shesparkleseverywhere.wordpress.com

My coffee came out first.  They use Single Origin coffee here, so it tasted quite similar to the coffee I used to get at Central Baking Depot.  Although I had asked for a weak one, I got a pretty strong kick of coffee in the beginning which lingered on the palate for a bit and then smoothed out.  It was actually really great!

shesparkleseverywhere.wordpress.com

shesparkleseverywhere.wordpress.com

Then came my kumera chips. When I saw it I thought...omg the bowl is huge!!! There was no way I was going to finish it...

shesparkleseverywhere.wordpress.com

The chips looked slightly burnt so I was a bit worried but then when I picked up my first chip and tried it with the aioli my worries withered away...it was so yummy!! Crisp on the outside, yet still a bit soft on the inside...the seasoning on it was slightly spicy and really delicious. I ended up not finishing it and had to grab a doggy bag for it :)

Lastly was my poached eggs with smoked salmon and organic sourdough bread.  The eggs were poached perfectly, with the yolk oozing out.....mmm. The smoked salmon was also great and came in generous servings.  The sourdough was sour (as it should be).  Overall it was really great (especially with the sea salt, pepper and tabasco!)

shesparkleseverywhere.wordpress.com

shesparkleseverywhere.wordpress.com

They also sold homemade jams with interesting flavour combinations (flavours that day included strawberry & rhubarb, orange & passionfruit marmalade and also apricot, almond & vanilla) and also pastries and breads hanging from cute swings at the front of the shops.

shesparkleseverywhere.wordpress.com

shesparkleseverywhere.wordpress.com

shesparkleseverywhere.wordpress.com

So, would I go back to Four Ate Five? I think so! The service was very good and there are still a lot of menu options I would like to try, such as the pulled pork sandwich and the cheese and meatball melt! You can check out their menu here (although I think some of the prices have changed slightly!) I'll probably end up going there for brunch with my friends, or just by myself to study French or something :)

D xx

Visit Four Ate Five's website here.

Fouratefive on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment