Wednesday 30 May 2012

Gelato Messina

Let me introduce you guys to my favourite gelato joint in Sydney.

The place is called Gelato Messina and it's located on Victoria St, Darlinghurst.

shesparkleseverywhere.wordpress.com

Now I've done my fair share of travels around Italy, and have tasted my fair share of gelatos and so far, Messina is the only place that lives up to my expectations of a good gelato.

shesparkleseverywhere.wordpress.com

I personally prefer gelato over ice cream (although I still really love ice cream) because I like the smooth texture of the gelato and how that brings out the flavour of the ingredients better than the milky, slightly frosted texture of ice cream.

When I was travelling around Italy it was summertime so I ate gelato whenever and wherever I could find them! My absolute favourite flavour is (and always will be) "Fior di latte" which literally means "milk flower" (which they don't have anywhere in Sydney...can someone find me a place that sells this flavour?). To me it tastes like vanilla milkshake!!! Yum!



Fior di latte from Grom, a popular Italian gelateria (this one I went to was in Milan)

shesparkleseverywhere.wordpress.com

Almond and hazelnut / Fior di latte gelatos in Cefalu, Sicily (it was boiling hot that day....all we did was sit at a beachside cafe and eat almond flavoured food :P)

But, there is one flavour at Messina which potentially can be the Aussie replacement for my Fior di latte - it's the "salted caramel with white chocolate" flavour and oh mon dieu it is HEAVENLY (it's the one on the left - double scoop all the way!).

shesparkleseverywhere.wordpress.com

The sweetness of the white chocolate is perfectly balanced by the salted caramel leaving you that wonderful slightly strange flavour of both savoury and sweet tastes in your mouth.

shesparkleseverywhere.wordpress.com

Messina has around 30 flavours available daily - they also have a list of Special flavours which change constantly. These specials are really special because they're more daring and quirky compared to the usual flavours that are there every day :)



The other great thing about Messina is that it's really good value for money. One scoop is $3.90, two scoops are $4.90 and three scoops are $6.90! I know certain other ice cream / gelato shops that sell their ice cream / gelato for $5.90 a scoop (honestly, a bit toooo much for ice cream...).

You can also take away these goodies in a take away tubs (500mL - 1500mL sizes). They also have a Creative Department (Messina’s Laboratorio and Patisserie) next door which sells ready made single serve ice cream desserts!

Expect to queue up when you're there though - seems like Messina is everyone's favourite gelato joint! (psst, they also have second store in the Cafe Court area of the Star so maybe you can try your luck there and not have to wait in line ;P)

D xx

Gelato Messina Darlinghurst on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. Messina is the greatest! Also, if you drive about an hour south of Sydney there is a place called AustiBeach cafe that makes their own Fior flavour x

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness!! thanks so much for letting me know :) seems like i'll be doing a road trip soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. you've got to take me to this place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pure Gelato Sydney. Highest Awarded Gelato Manufacturer,
    Retailer & Online orders in Sydney for Pure gelato and ice cream cake.

    ReplyDelete